On October 16, Regions, The Women’s Fund of Greater Birmingham, and the Smart Party Committee invite you to the 3rd annual Smart Party benefiting The Women’s Fund. Join us at Iron City (513 22nd Street South) and celebrate 10 of Birmingham’s smartest women, raise funds and awareness to move women beyond poverty, and compete for amazing prizes. You and your social networks can change lives. Tickets are $65/person and include cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.
What is a Smart Party?
A SMART Party is a live and online fundraising event where each person can use their smart phones (or devices) to interact with friends online, create awareness, raise funds and win great prizes. It’s a hip, high-tech event that elevates fundraising to a new level.
Click here to buy tickets!
“Stroll Through A Moroccan Souk”
Kathy G & Company were honored to create a Moroccan Night for the Annual Birmingham Zoo Gala! It was a beautiful evening on September 13th. The ambiance was a throw-back to vintage Moroccan nights. The food was beyond compare! Duck Confit on Lemon Icebox Crackers, Cumin Scented Lamb Meatballs, and Tomato Gazpacho Shots started off the night on just right. Passed Hors D’Ouevres included Tandori Style Chicken over Rosemary Bruschetta, Brie and Caramalized Pears on Flatbread, and Vegetable Somosas with Minit Yogurt Sauce.
Beautiful Market Stations were available to guests featuring Almonds, Hummus, Babagonouj, Marinated Olives, Goat Cheese Logs with Lavendar-Honey, and Isralei Cous Cous Salad with dried fruits.
For the main course the guests could choose from multiple beautifully decorated stations serving Grilled Beef Tenderloin Kebabs with Sweet
Onions and Red Bell Peppers, Grilled Fresh Gulf Prawns Kebabs with Red, Coconut Curry, and Grilled Vegetable Kebabs with Ras el Hanout
Spice Mixture and a Saffron-Tomato Vinaigrette.
A cheesecake table with extraordinary toppings finished off the night beautifully!
Kathy G. & Company thanks the Birmingham Zoo for allowing them to be part of the magical evening!
1 C. Coca Cola
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. Vegetable Oil
1/4 C. Powdered Sugar
22 Large Marshmallows
2 C. All Purpose Flour
2 C. Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 C. Buttermilk
2 Large Eggs
1/4 C. Powdered Cocoa
6 Tbs. Coca Cola
1/2 C. Butter
3 and 3/4 C. Powdered Sugar (one 1 lb box)
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 box of Oreos
1 bag of Gummy Worms
Preheat the over to 325 degrees.
Line cupcakes with black or brown metallic cupcake liners.
In a saucepan, mix Coca Cola, Butter, Vegetable Oil and Cocoa. Bring the ingredients to a boil.
Remove from heat and add Marshmallows. Let the Marshmallows melt into the batter. Stir well.
In a large bowl, mix Flour, Sugar and Baking Soda.
Add Buttermilk, Eggs and Vanilla. Mix well.
Combine the contents from the saucepan with the contents from the large bowl. Mix well.
Spoon batter into the cupcake liners.
Bake at 325 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool Cupcakes completely before icing them.
In a medium saucepan, mix together Cocoa Cola and Butter.
Heat over medium heat until Butter is melted, then bring contents to a boil.
Remove from heat and add Powdered Sugar and Vanilla. Stir until smooth.
Let Frosting cool completely.
After the Frosting is cool, ice the Cupcakes.
On a clean surface, crush Oreos with a rolling pin.
Sprinkle Oreo crumbs on top of the Frosting.
Garnish each cupcake with a Gummy Worm.
Enjoy your SpOoKy OoKy Goblin’s Graveyard Cupcakes!
16 Almond Halves
1/4 t. Almond Extract
1/2 t. Vanilla Extract
1/2 C. Butter (room temperature)
1/2 C. Powdered Sugar
6 Tbs. White Sugar
1/4 t. Salt
1 3/4 C. Four
1 t. Baking Powder
1/4 C. Cherry or Raspberry Pie Filling
1. Separate one Egg.
2. Beat Butter, Sugar, 1 Egg, additional Egg Yolk, Almond and Vanilla Extract.
3. Once creamed, add Flour, Baking Powder and Salt.
4. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
5. Wrap dough in waxed paper and chill in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
6. Once dough has been chilled, break the dough into two parts. Work with half and put the other half back in the refrigerator.
7. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Form the dough into about 8 finger-like shapes (less than about 1 in. wide).
8. Use a sharp utensil to draw knuckles and mold the dough until the fingers are eerily life-like.
9. Place an Almond Half on top to look like a finger nail. To really make it look creepy and crawly, try lightly brushing the Almond Half with Chocolate or Red Food Coloring to make it appear even more haunting.
10. Gently brush the fingers with Egg White and bake on a greased cookie sheet for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Repeat steps 6-10 for the second half of the Lady Finger dough.
12. When all of your Lady Fingers are baked to perfection, use Cherry or Raspberry Pie Filling to make the fingers appear to ooze blood.
2 C. Sugar
1 C. Corn Syrup
1 1/2 C. Water
8 Drops of Red Food Coloring
Place sticks in apple, set aside.
Combine first 3 ingredients over med-high heat and cook to 300-310 degrees without stirring.
Stir in red coloring.
Dip apples and allow to set.
THE SECRET IS OUT!!
Andy Hopper Has Returned as
Head of KG Designs at our
NEW Design Studio
We’re pleased to welcome back Andy Hopper, with his incredible talent, fun personality and cutting edge design. Stop by the new studio or give him a call for your next event!
The new KG Designs Studio is located at:
225 Oxmoor Circle Suite 805
Homewood, AL 35209
Kathy G & Company and KG Designs were pleased to bring “A Taste of the South” to nearly 1000 guests for Mercedes Benz US Annual Dealer’s meeting at Bimingham’s historic landmark Sloss Furnaces. The sloped casting shed was converted to a grand dining room with tiered carpeted levels.. With over 100 waiters, 12 captains and 60 chefs , guests were greeted with Mint Juleps and Pecan Crusted Oysters, Grilled Pimento Cheese Triangles and Tomato Sandwiches. The duo entree dinner of Beef Tender Filet with Madeira and Jumbo Lump Crabcakes was accompanied by Butter Bean Salad, Shrimp Tasso Rice, Classic Mac n Cheese and Homecooked Collards all served Family Style .Sweet Potato Biscuits were passed as well.
The Event was a collaboration of Van Wyck, Van Wyck of New York, Classic Party Rentals, Los Angeles, Susan W Mason , Savannah, Ga., Joy Hullet of Sloss Furnace, Event Rentals Unlimited and Bar Service. After desserts, the guests enjoyed an up close and personal concert by award winning Country Pop star, Luke Bryan.
Along with the Mercedes Benz event at Sloss Furnace, KG Designs also arranged Florals for the Mercedes event the previous at Ross Bridge. The event’s theme was similar with Yellow Florals of Mini Callas, Garden Roses, & Tulips. A variety of these small and large Yellow arrangements were placed on the dinner tables, the Terrace and around the Bar. Guest were able to enjoy the beautiful flowers in every room. Bar service was supplied by Red Clay.
1 Lemon wedge
2 oz Premium Vodka
4 oz Tomato juice
2 tsp Freshly Grated Horseradish
2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1 pinch Celery salt
1 pinch Ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon TABASCO
Combine all ingrediants into a shaker or mixing glass. Mix/Shake for about one minute and Strain into an ice-filled highball glass or Pint Glass. Add Garnishes
Garnish: Celary Stalk, Pickled Okra, Lemon Wedge, & Green Olives
Kathy G’s “Naked” Strawberry Lemon Cake Recipe
1 cup butter softened
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, separated
3 cups cake flower
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon table salt
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pink/Red food coloring
3 cups sliced strawberries (for filling)
Whip Cream (for topping)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- 2. Stir together flour and next 2 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended. Stir in zest and juice.
- 3. Beat egg whites in a large bowl at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-third of egg whites into batter; fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon batter into 4 greased (with shortening) and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 16 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely.
Lemon Curd Filling
12 oz Lemon juice
8 Lemons, zested
3 cups Sugar
1 ½ cups Butter
Pinch of Salt
Combine all in heavy saucepan and heat on low until thickened, stirring constantly. Strain and chill.
Place one layer on serving platter and spread Lemon Curd Filling all the way to the edge. Layer strawberry slices over filling, leaving tips sticking out around the edge. Repeat the layering process, top with whip cream and strawberry slices for garnish!